The requirements of an e-commerce website are different. E-commerce websites are resource-intensive, and the security requirements are quite different than that of a blogging or other business website. These requirements might not fit well with a hosting plan that is not secure. However, if you are not looking to spend much to take your first online store live on the internet, it is best to go with VPS Hosting. VPS trumps shared server hosting in many aspects that are essential to run an e-commerce website.
Here we look at the top 5 reasons which make VPS Hosting an ideal choice for running your online store. However, before that, it is important to understand how a VPS Server functions.
What is VPS Hosting?
A Virtual Private Server, or VPS, works on the principle of virtualization by splitting a single physical server into multiple virtual servers. Each server works in isolation, without any interference from other websites.
Advantages of VPS Server for e-commerce website
- Better Reliability: With an e-commerce website, you can hardly afford to have your website down, especially when the traffic inflow increases. VPS Hosting has a better capability of dealing with a surge in traffic which makes it a more reliable solution than a Shared Server plan. For a VPS Hosted website, the performance of other websites does not have any impact on your website, making it an ideal choice for your online store.
- Improved security: One of the major concerns with a website hosted on a Shared Server is its security vulnerability. With all websites sharing a single IP address, a cybersecurity breach of one website adversely impacts all the websites on the same server. An e-commerce website stores personal information of the visitors such as credit card details. Leakage of such information or a major security breach can damage the reputation of the business beyond repair. A VPS platform mimics the features of a Dedicated Server. Also, the root access allows the clients to install various security applications to further improve security.
- Greater control: VPS Hosting gives complete root access to the clients to tweak their part of the server to their advantage. One can install the operating system of their choice as well as install applications and configure the server as per their requirements. However, various hosting providers allow a different amount of control so it is essential to read their manual before taking the plunge. Also, for someone who does not want to get into the technicalities of managing the server, various providers offer Managed VPS plans where the provider takes the responsibility of all technical factors.
- Dedicated resources with scalability option: As mentioned earlier, VPS Hosting allocates a dedicated amount of resources for your e-commerce website. The dedicated resources have a direct impact on the performance of your website. Reduced page loading time enhances user experience and improves bounce rate. Additionally, it will help you to climb up the SEO ladder. But the USP of VPS Hosting is the scalability feature which allows users to scale up resources in sync with their resource requirement. This is helpful for your online store, as you would require more resources during the seasonal sale period.
- Cost-effective: When one is starting with their first online store, they usually have a limited budget. VPS Hosting allows them to enjoy most of the advantages of a Dedicated Server without having to purchase the entire server.
The above points make it clear that VPS Hosting offers a win-win situation for your online store. However, when you buy VPS, it is important not to purchase a free hosting plan or the cheapest option available. Carefully assess your requirements, compare the features offered by multiple providers and choose the one that meets your requirements.