CenturyLink Internet provides you with two convenient ways to install your internet setup – self-installation (which is free, of course), and pro-installation which costs you around $149 to get things done by their tech expert.
Needless to say, the self-installation method is going to save you tons of bucks. So, just in case you cannot afford to hire a CenturyLink technician or accommodate an installation appointment in your busy schedule, you can simply opt for the self-installation process.
To make things easier, here we have come up with a detailed guide on how to self-install CenturyLink internet – it will not only help you understand the technicalitiesof your device but also help you decide whether it is the right choice for you or not.
So, let’s get started!
Self-Installation Kit Equipment
At the time of subscription, CenturyLink is going to provide you with an installation kit containing all the equipment needed to carry out the process. For example:
- Yellow Ethernet Cable
- Power Cord for your modem
- Installation Guide
- CenturyLink Modem
- Green Phone Cord
Filter and Splitter – What’s Their Purpose?
The main purpose of a filter is to reduce the high-frequency noise in the network. In case, you aren’t using the splitter to divide the incoming signals from your provider between data service and your voice, you can use the filter to block the Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) signal. This will enable your voice to travel without any interference.
On the contrary, a splitter will divide the signals or any input from the network between your internet modem and phone. Most of the time, filters are used with devices like satellite TV receivers, FAX or answering machines, telephones, etc. So, if a filter is not performing up to its full potential, you might experience lagging or slow internet speed.
Also,before installation,you need to disconnect all the devices that do not have a filter.
Step 1: Modem Location
Most of the time, people do not pay enough attention to the location of their modem, although it makes a huge difference in the internet speed and performance.
So, before you start your installation process, just make sure that your modem is placed somewhere in the center of the house, where it doesn’t get heated up and gets proper ventilation.
Also, you need to ensure that your modem is not placed on the ground. Instead, place it on a higher level where it can be circulated with air.
Step 2: Modem Startup
Found the perfect location to place your modem? Awesome!
Now let’s proceed to the second step – the startup of your modem.
- First of all, take out the power cable from your self-installation kit and plug it into the devicethrough a power outlet. Now, here, it is important to note that your device comes in different models. If it has a power switch, you will need to turn it on. If not, then the device will automatically start booting up with the help of its in-built processors.
- The booting process does not take long. Once you see the device’s power light turned on, you will get to know that your modem has gotten plugged in, correctly.
Step 3: Cables and Cords
Up till now, we are almost sure that you have fully explored your self-installation kit and equipment.
Once your modem has been turned on, simply take out the yellow Ethernet cable and green phone cord from your kit. Now, follow the given steps.
- Find the green port at your modem, and plug in one side of your green phone cable into it. Most probably, you will see this port tagged as LINE or DSL. Also, there’s going to be another port labeled as PHONE, so, make sure you don’t plug the cord into it.
- Now take the other end of the green phone cable and connect it to the nearest phone jack located on your wall. However, you do not need to add any filter to this phone jack.
- Although Ethernet connectivity is pretty rare these days, still you need to use it during your modem setup – simply connect the modem directly to your system through an Ethernet cable.
- Now, check for the yellow ports on your modem. You will see many of them. Just connect your Ethernet cable to any one of the ports.
- Finally, plug the other end of your Ethernet cable into your PC.
Step 4: Quick Setup Recap
In order to ensure that the process has been carried out smoothly, it is always better to take a look at the previous steps. So, follow the given recap guidelines.
- Make sure you have correctly plugged in the modem.
- Ensure that you have connected the modem and phone jack via green phone cord, without any excessive filters.
- Take a quick look at your Ethernet connectivity between the modem and your PC, through the yellow Ethernet cable.
- Once you have made all the connections, your modem must show a GREEN internet light indicating that you have successfully connected to CenturyLink Internet. However, just in case, you are seeing an AMBER light on the device, then you need to activate your internet service.
Step 5: Online Activation Via Web Browser
Now, finally, it’s time for you to activate your internet service with CenturyLink. Also, please note that you can activate your service only on your Service Ready Date, or after that.
- Click on the Web Browser (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.) on your PC.
- Your browser will automatically direct you to the CenturyLink site where it will display a welcome message and provide you with some instructions to follow. However, just in case, you do not see your CenturyLink screen and welcome message on the browser, simply type connect.centurylink.com in the search bar and your page will be loaded.
- At this point, you need to have your CenturyLink account number with you. You can easily find it on the activation letter that you have received from the provider along with the self-installation kit.
Step 6: Wi-Fi Connection Setup
Obviously, you would not want to use the internet through the Ethernet cable after the setup. So, once you are done with the whole setup procedure, it’s time for you to set up your wireless devices and Wi-Fi network.
- Check the back of your device, you will see a label at the back of it having all the credentials and network details for logging in.
- Now look for the system tray on your PC screen, and select wireless connectivity options.
- Click on your network name from the list.
- Insert the security key/password.
- Finally, once you have inserted the key, open up your browser and go to go.centurylink.com/add. Follow the instructions to finish the setup process.
That’s pretty much it, fellows. We are successfully done with CenturyLink Internet self-installation process. Now you can enjoy stable network signals for all types of online activities like browsing, streaming, surfing and downloading, etc.
If you wish to know about the latest CenturyLink internet plans or bundles, please reach out to BuyTVInternetPhone, or simply call their official customer services helpline.